To see all the qoutes on my list goto the post titled Qoutable Qoutes.

Monday, August 22, 2005

Have We Missed Something?

John 3:8

You know well enough how the wind blows this way and that. You hear it rustling through the trees, but you have no idea where it comes from or where it's headed next. That's the way it is with everyone 'born from above' by the wind of God, the Spirit of God.
MSG

Is it possible that we have missed something? This scripture has been "like a splinter in my mind" for quite awhile now. I thought I'd write what I've been feeling even though I don't think I've hit exactly on what God's trying to tell me. Excuse me if I ramble a bit. Its 4:00 AM and I can't sleep becuase this scripture is running around in my head. If anyone has any thoughts on this verse at all please comment.

Jesus compares those who are born of the Spirit to the wind. Their action have some mystery about them. You don't know where they may have come from or where they may be going, but you definitely see the effect they have. Sometimes the effect is the slight rustling of the leaves, but other times it is a powerful force no one can denie or stand against. Every major character (who is Godly) in the Bible demonstrates these characteristics. Abraham leaves everything he knows to go somewhere only God knows then later heads up a mountain to practice human sacrifice on God's gift of a son. David could lead armies into battle, dance in the presence of God, or eat sacrad bread no one was to even touch. Jesus began a sinless ministry by making alcoholic wine for a party, and later condemned the holiest men of His day as hypocrites. The apostles stood against some of the most powerful men of their time without weapon or violence(in a time when weapons and violence were nearly the only sources of power), and succeeded in turning the world upside down. I consider all of this and look at my own life and the lives of most Christians I know. I live basically the same as my unsaved neighbors. Sure I don't drink, smoke, or cuss; but where is the wind of God taking me that is so different. I've met the kind of Christian who rides the wind of God. They have something different to them. One Man I met was a paramedic who quite his comparitively good paying job to ride the wind into the uncertain pay of a youth ministers position, and then further jepordized his ability to support a family when he left to go run an orphanage in South America. I met a college aged girl who just got back from an extended stay in the Middle East as a missionary. A place where Christians can disappear into the night, and women have no rights anyway. I've seen many missionaries and they do not all have this quality of riding the wind of God. Iguess what I'm saying is that its not just taking risks or their actions alone. I can't really explain it, but if you've met the type I'm talking about you know what I mean. They aren't the flakes who walk a foot above the ground (or atleast they think they do), but just down to earth real people who's spirit is obviously in tune with the Spirit of God. Every Christian is not going to be off for lands unknown or raising the dead, but shouldn't there be something perplexing/different about our daily lives? Have we bought more into the system of this present age than we have into God's Spirit? Are we truly any different than the materialist down the street, or are we merely products of the current culture?

1 Comments:

Blogger Flip said...

This is definitely an awesome post and I know exactly what your talking about - and yes - I know the type of person you're talking about - the type of person who is definitely making a difference, that stands out - that is a light.

I don't have any real insight to offer you on the text - but I'd like to think more on it.

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home