To see all the qoutes on my list goto the post titled Qoutable Qoutes.

Friday, November 04, 2005

Humility vs. Pride II



Ariel of BitterSweetLife started a discussion over at And How Do You Spell "Humility?" - BitterSweetLife and was nice enough to give an invite to post. I decided to include on his blog a link to this post as well as my previous post. If this subject interests please follow the previous link to this "round table" discussion. Alright and now, on with the show . . .

After further thought on my previous post I realized what others have pointed out . . . sometimes you should stand up for yourself! Or should you? While I have to admit there are times to act in ways that don't seem humble (1) I wonder if when done properly this would still be called standing up for yourself. Every time I remember Jesus being what seemed less than humble it also seemed He was not standing up for Himself, but for someone else’s benefit. When talking to the Pharisees was Jesus standing up for himself, or for those who the Pharisees had bound up in the Law? One could even say Jesus was standing up for the way of God the Father over the way of the Pharisees, but not for Jesus’ personal benefit. It would be nice if that was easily applied to our own lives, but sadly no. Besides the inherent difficulty with disciplining ourselves to only stand up for the sake of others we can also fool ourselves into standing up for others for our own personal gain. For example I might take up a noble cause not for the causes sake, but for how good I will look if I do. I once convinced myself that if no one got mad at the drive through attendant they would just go on messing up orders. I needed to get upset for the sake of all the other people who don’t have time right now. That way we all will start getting our food right. If more people would just follow my example this world would be a better place. How hard is NO PICKLES . . add mayo . . .extra onions . . no salt fries . . . regular size fries, but extra large drink . . . and my wife’s order too? (Now doesn’t that sound stupid??) Of course God had to speak with me about that and I’m glad to say He helped me become the friendly guy at the drive through. Now the girl at the window recognizes my order and looks forward to asking me about my wife and baby girl. (OK I spend too much time eating fast food to) Maybe that really is the rub. Maybe our normal tendency should be toward humility, but only becoming bolder when specifically moved by the Holy Spirit. Maybe people should think it takes an act of God to get us angry, . . .and maybe it really should. Enough for now I have to go watch Super Size Me over a double quarter pounder with cheese.

(1) Think Jesus talking to Pharisees, moneychangers in the temple, or Peter (like when He called Peter Satan (not that Peter is in the same group as the Pharisees and such)).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:05 AM  
Blogger Ariel said...

"While I have to admit there are times to act in ways that don't seem humble...I wonder if when done properly this would still be called standing up for yourself."

I like the way you put that. It reminds me of what G.K. Chesterton said on the subject:

What we suffer from today is humility in the wrong place. Modesty has moved from the organ of ambition. Modesty has settled upon the organ of conviction; where it was never meant to be. A man was meant to be doubtful about himself, but undoubting about the truth; this has been exactly reversed. Nowadays the part of a man that a man does assert is exactly the part he ought not assert—himself. The part he doubts is exactly the part he ought not to doubt—the Divine Reason.

"Self"-assertion, I think, needs to be condemned outright. But "truth"-assertion...there is something to be said for that. When self is not mixed up in it, boldness for the sake of the truth is a loving, gracious thing.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

I agree. I can only only add that in my mind the only way to really divorce our boldness from our selfishness is to say only what our Father sayes and do only what we see our Father doing.

1:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home